Visa Information

Candidates that do not hold either a UK or an EU Passport will require a visa in order to live and/or work in the UK.  (If you wish to enter the UK as a tourist, you can do so for up to 30 days without a visa.

There are different types of visa which may be available to you.  A brief overview of each is provided below;

To complete a Visa application, or for more detailed information visit

Types Of Visa

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS)
As of the 27th November 2008, Commonwealth Citizens are now eligible for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa. It allows young Australians and New Zealanders between 18 and 30 years of age, to work in the UK for the entire 2 year period of the Visa.

Applicants will need to prove they have sufficient funds available to them at the time of applying. As a guide, you will need at least $3800AUD in your bank account to apply for this Visa.
more information - Guide to Applying for YMS

Children (those under 18 years of age) are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and are required to make their application at the same time as the main Visa applicant.  However, if you are travelling on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, you are NOT permitted to have dependants travel with you.

Ancestral Visa
An Ancestral Visa is issued to an applicant who has a grandparent born in the UK, and is valid for a maximum of 5 years. You must have access to your grandparent’s birth certificate to prove that they were born on the UK, you must also have enough funds available to support yourself (and any dependents) when you arrive in the UK, and also be planning or actively seeking work in the UK before you arrive. After five years living in the UK, you may then be in a position to apply for permanent residency.
more information -

Settlement Visa
The Settlement Visa is for candidates who are married to, are planning to marry, or are in a long term Civil Partnership with a British Citizen (or someone who has permission to live in the UK permanently). It is issued for 2 years, and after that period you may be entitled to apply for permanent residency in the UK.
more information -

Right of Abode (Certificate of Entitlement)
All British Citizens automatically have the Right of Abode, meaning they can live and work in the UK with no immigration restrictions. If you can prove that one of your parents was born in the UK, you also have UK Right of Abode. In this case, you will need to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement. 
more information -

Tier 2 (Skilled Migrant Visa)
The Tier 2 Skilled Migrant Visa is an entry visa for skilled workers who are citizens iof countries outside the European Economic Area. To apply for entry to the UK under this scheme, you must be in possession of a job offer, and have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK employer. In this case, the offer of employment must be from a school or Local Authority and not Academics.
more information -

Tier 4 General Student Visa
You may enter the UK on the Tier 4 General Student Visa if you have been offered a course placement and you have sufficient funds to pay for that course and to support yourself while you are in the UK. You are entitled to work, however there are restrictions to the number of hours you can be in paid work whilst travelling on this type of Visa.
more information -

Applicant Testimonials

Denise - Primary School Teacher
Thank you Academics so very much for all your help - you have helped me so much, I really appreciate everything you have done....
Kerri - Primary School Teacher
I arrived in London yesterday and it’s only been a day but so far I’m loving the area I’m in.  I’m really impressed with how efficient and fabulous Academics have been and I thank you both for ...
Rebecca - Mathematics Teacher
I have just finished my two year contract at VISS and I wanted to thank you greatly for helping me obtain such a wonderful position.  You were instrumental in helping me navigate the employment ...
Elise - Science Teacher
I have had the pleasure of working with both the Australian office and the UK office of Academics Ltd.  All staff members have been friendly, courteous, helpful and quick to respond. I have ...
Latest Job Listings